Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Byzantine World of Labour Relations

I went to a professional development committee meeting this past week and received a copy of our current collective agreement.  It was nicely bound and in a compact format.  I really should have nothing to complain about, except that our current contract expires this coming June.  That's right.  I finally got a copy of a contract that I've been working under for the past three years this week and it it expires in eight months.

When Jen and I first started in this school district we were given a copy of the last collective agreement that had already expired.  When I chased down our union rep to get a copy of the current contract I was told that we couldn't have those because the parties were still working on finalizing a few of the side agreements.  I found this very disturbing that my union would not allow me to see the contract that it had bargained for on my behalf.  However, I was new to the profession and organized labour, so I didn't push too hard.

I have also realized that the only part that most teachers (and maybe most workers in general) care about is the page that shows their wage scale.  While I'll agree that it's important, I like to know what the obligations of the employer and my self to each other are while I'm working (i.e. why and when can I get in trouble).  Of course, that's probably the former lawyer in me poking his seldom seen head out.

Finally, British Columbia teachers collectively bargain as a whole group with the provincial government.  The extent of our collective bargaining rights are set out in provincial legislation.  At the current time, teachers are classified as an essential service, much like fire fighters and ambulance drivers.  This makes it illegal for us to strike.  However, the current government is definitely not pro-union or pro-education and is in penny pinching mode.  To make matters worse, the British Columbia Teachers Federation is highly militant and seems to get off on baiting a government that it seems to me it would be wise to find a working relationship with.  There is a common saying that says don't bite the hand that feeds you.  The BCTF gnaws on that hand very regularly.

Bargaining for the new contract starts in March.  It could be an interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment