Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gadget Man


I saved up my pennies and this week and took the plunge and bought a Kobo ereader.  I'm not sure why the urge struck me.  I think it was seeing our overly full book case and the price of new books.  The final straw was not wanting to go down to the library when it was -40 out.

Jen and I give ourselves $100 of money each to spend on whatever we want.  That money usually goes towards our respective hobbies.  However, I have managed to build up a bit of a cache of cash due to my skin flint ways.  So, I got it in my head that I wanted an ereader.

Originally, I had considered saving for an iPad.  After playing with one at Best Buy, I dropped that idea.  Not that the iPad was crap, but that it was too expensive for what it was; a glorified ereader and web browser.  So, I began my quest for an ereader.  I did all of my due diligence by researching what is out there and what is best at what.  It turns out that the Barnes & Noble Nook seems to be the best ereader out there.  Unfortunately, it is a journey through hell to get one into Canada and then get the books for it.  I went for second best and got the Kobo.

The Kobo and it's software are dead easy to learn.  I've got it all synced up and hooked up to the internet and my account so I can buy books anywhere (in the house).

So far, I've only read the operating manual on it because I'm in the middle of an old fashioned paper book that I had previously purchased.  Jen is disgusted that I haven't been reading on it yet, but that will come.  The biggest danger is having my wife take it over.  She already has four books she wants to put on it! 

Now where should I hide it...?

No comments:

Post a Comment