Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Ice Box

As the temperatures rise outside, they are plummeting in my kingdom.  My kingdom consists of the basement of your house.  I have my windowless man cave in the basement.  The TV is also located in the basement and since Jen really doesn't watch much TV, I claim it as part of my kingdom.

During the winter when the furnace was on almost all the time, my kingdom was usually at a bearable if not comfortable temperature.  However, we have had some sunny days with temperatures around freezing lately.  This means that the upstairs gets nice and toasty warm.  Unfortunately, the thermostat is located in that same toasty region of the house.  That means that the furnace rarely comes on during the day.  My kingdom is suffering from a heat embargo by the upstairs.

On Sunday I was downstairs watching a hockey game and it was a nipply 13.5 degrees.  I had not one, but two fleece blankets pulled up to my chin, which was about where my testicles (testes?) were.  I had the hood on my hoody over my head and I had a very cold nose.  The Hawks won, so it was not in vain, but I have to say that one thinks twice before one makes a move to go downstairs to watch any TV program.

Alas, the solution is a few years away when we can afford to renovate the basement and put some insulation and an electric fireplace down there.  Until then, I'll have to keep the longjohns ready, especially with the playoffs just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment