Saturday, September 4, 2010

Warhammer 101

It was brought to my attention that I write about Warhammer in this blog, but have not explained what the game actually is.  So, I thought I'd take a minute to give a very brief overview of the Warhammer game.  This is for you Michelle, so you can truly understand what kind of geek I am.

Warhammer is a fantasy miniature wargame produced by Games Workshop.  The game is a loose simulation of a battle between two armies of miniatures that the players bring to the table.  The miniatures are purchased in groups or individually and a player collects the units and heroes he/she will use in their games.  It is not a cheap hobby.  You generally pay $30-40 for 5-10 miniatures.  An army can be composed of 100 -300 miniatures.

There are lots of rules and dice rolls to determine combat and some movement.  There is a great deal of strategy involved and quite a bit of luck considering the amount of dice you throw in the new edition.  There are many races you can choose to create your army from.  I personally play High Elves (different from Dark and Wood Elves).  Each race has it's own specific troop types and racial strengths and weaknesses.  The Warhammer world and each race also has extensive background stories (commonly referred to as fluff).  I don't pay much attention to the fluff, but some players love it and theme their armies around it.   Each model has a points value and the players determine how many points they will play a game at and then put together an army list using some basic composition rules and then consisting of whatever you think will be most effective.  The game is played on a 6'x4' table.  The miniatures in the game are meant to be painted, but don't have to be in order to play the game.

I was introduced to the game a year ago and still am not very good at it.  I am more partial to painting the figures than playing the actual game, but I enjoy playing as well.  My painting has improved over the past year, as I continually try new techniques.

I thought I would post some pictures of my man dollies, so you can have a visual of what kind of grand nerdiness I'm involved in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the crash course, Chris. I don't think it's nerdy as we all have our little niches / areas of interest that we pursue. If you think mini war figurines are nerdy, what pray tell do you think of competitive flower arranging or fall fair photo contests? See, we all have our interest areas.

    ReplyDelete