Monday, August 1, 2011

Early Adopters

I have never been an early adopter of anything.  Those that know me, understand that I take a cautious approach to change.  I need to see how it will work out and how it will fit into my life and world view.  I change slowly.  Unfortunately, technology does not give us the opportunity to go as slowly as some of us old codgers would like.

For example, up until a year ago, I had no use for either Twitter or blogging.  I thought Twitter was a place where a bunch of self important people tweeted about where they were having lunch or how large their bowel movements were.  I thought that blogging was for self-indulgent people told the world about the minutia of their lives and figured the world deserved to know.  Luckily, some people showed me how both of these tools could be used with a purpose.  I stated using Twitter for professional development and now also use it to connect and meet new people in my hobby as well.  I started a personal blog in order to understand it so I could use it for my classroom and students.  Now I keep this blog (as you know), a classroom blog and a nerd blog.  I was clearly wrong about blogging and Twitter.

Now I'm trying to figure out Google+.  I am trying to adopt early!  This is a change for me.  It is also one of the few ways I can adopt early.  I have found that generally adopting technology early is expensive.  I would love to have a tablet, but don't have the money.  I find it hard to be as active as I would like on Twitter because I don't have a fancy phone.  I am still one of the 15% of North Americans that don't have a flat panel television.  Unless you have a job where you make more money than a teacher or your employer provides you with new technology as part of your job, you can't keep up.  My only option is to wait until the technology becomes cheaper or I can save up enough money to buy said new technology (and usually it's not new by then).

So, now that my mindset has changed somewhat on being more open minded towards new technology (and other things I hope), I only need my paycheque to change its mind about being bigger.
OK.  I just thought this was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment