Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Please Don't Ask That

I haven't told you a school story in a while, so I thought you might like this.  We are studying life cycles in science right now.  Today we were talking about eggs and animals that hatch.  I was reading a book about the life cycle of chickens.  The book had stated that eggs need to be fertilized in order to grow into a chick.  I reinforced that to make sure they knew we didn't eat baby chickens for breakfast.  One of my little guys asked me what fertilized means.  I had to tread carefully.  There is a very vocal minority of parents that are very religious and very conservative.  I explained that eggs only have half of the stuff that is required to make a baby chicken.  Fertilization gives it the second half of what it needs.  As I said this I was praying to everything that was holy, that he wouldn't ask me how fertilization happens.  I really didn't feel like dancing around the birds and the bees with 6 and 7 year olds.

Much to my relief, my answer seemed to satisfy the little ones and I powered through to the next page and didn't look into their little faces to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment