Sunday, February 3, 2013

Learning vs. Doing

As I wrote earlier, I have adopted LEARN as my word of the year.  One thing that I have noticed in the early going of my learning year is the push and pull between learning and doing.  As most people in this world I have a finite amount of free time.  In that free time I would like to learn some new stuff this year.  However, while I’m learning stuff, I’m not doing stuff.  Let me illustrate.  If I am learning about photography by reading some articles, I am not taking any pictures. 

I am finding that it is hard to get the time to not only learn the things I want to learn, but to put those things into practice and get to the point that I can use them.  Adding to the time crunch is the fact that I have multiple hobbies that are all relatively time intensive.  It has been quite a balancing act.  I want to learn lots about my new hobby photography.  I also want to learn some new techniques for my old hobby of painting minis (and gaming with them).

I should add a disclaimer that part of the time crunch is of my own making.  With the return of the NHL, I spend a decent amount of time watching the Blackhawks, during which I don’t learn a lot of new stuff, but it brings me a lot of pleasure (most of the time).  However, Jen has rediscovered the TV, so video games have not taken up much time.

I’ll try to keep you up to date on how the balancing act is going.  However, now I  must go and clean the house, as I am having a Super Bowl party in a few hours.  I expect to learn a lot about beer and it’s effects on human behaviour and biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment