Sunday, January 9, 2011

Positivity

I've decided to adopt a word for the new year.  It was actually my wife's idea, but I've taken it and made it better by actually making up the word too!  Admittedly, I tend towards the negative and the pessimistic.  So, I've decided to make a conscious effort to focus on the positives in my life.  I was recently smudged by an Aboriginal Education Worker at my school.  The ceremony is all about taking out the negative thoughts and energy in you and committing to see, hear, speak and think the positive in the future.  I decided right there, that this was going to be my new project.

I've been trying to be positive for a few weeks now and it is REALLY hard!  The largest problem is my habit of falling into the negative.  That is turning out to be a very tough habit to break, but I'm still plugging away at it.  The other problem is other people.  It turns out that when you start noticing it, lots of people are very negative.  Those negative people can easily lead you down the path of darkness if you are not paying attention.  The final problem is people that really piss me off.  There are some people, especially at work, that really piss me off.  It turns out that being pissed off is a really good way to turn negative.  You have to admit that being angry or annoyed with someone is a perfect excuse to think negative thoughts.  So, I've had to modify the positivity principle.  Not only will I try to think positive thoughts, if it becomes impossible to think positively about a person or situation I will try to keep my thoughts neutral on the matter.  Hey, it's the best I can do sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment