Monday, January 3, 2011

An Unexpected Holiday

What happened to Jen and I today is a bit embarrassing, but also pretty humorous.  Jen and I got up for work as normal today.  We had our breakfast and packed up the car.  On our way to work I commented on the fact that there were not very many vehicles on the road this morning.  Usually, there is a pretty steady stream of traffic heading into town in the morning.  This morning we saw only two other cars on the road. 

When we got to school, we were very surprised to find we were the first ones there.  I figured that nobody else wanted to go back to work today either.  When it was about 30 minutes before school was about to start and there was not a single staff member at the school, I knew that something was up.  I decided to check school email account.  I had studiously avoided checking work email for the past two weeks.  Jen had checked hers last night and told me about the week ahead email that our principal had sent to us.  When I opened the same email, I saw that the first line said "Tuesday, January 4, return to school".  Jen had clearly not read her email very carefully.  At the same time, that unspoken hope that lingers in the back of your mind when you see nobody else at work that maybe you didn't have to be at work suddenly burst to the fore.  We both laughed pretty hard, but felt pretty damn good at the same time.

So, there we were at school on the last day of our holidays.  We decided to stay and get some work done.  We ended up leaving at noon and enjoying our unexpected afternoon off.

No comments:

Post a Comment