Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Day The Music Died

I made a gut wrenching decision today.  I bought an iPod.  I really tried to avoid it.  I asked for a Sony Walkman for Christmas and got one.  However, my last Walkman was doomed because I couldn't get a protective case for it.  I was also bummed, because I couldn't get a sports armband for it.  That makes it hard to use at the gym.  I was having the same problem with the most recent iteration of the Walkman, so I had to go with the iPod Nano that has a built in clip.  Of course, there are also reams of after market cases, etcetera to go with it.

I don't specifically dislike iPods.  They are the most useful and innovative music product out there.  My problem is with the Apple business model.  Apple seeks to control digital content from start to finish.  When you become an iSheep, you are imprisoning yourself within the Apple world.  If you have an iPod, you MUST use iTunes.  If you use iTunes, you must have everything in the AAC format which is proprietary to Apple.  No matter what they say, iTunes really only likes downloads from the iTunes store.  Others seem to mysteriously disappear when you conduct an update of the software.  How convenient.  Since so many worldwide own iPods and therefore use iTunes, the iTunes store is the most convenient way to acquire media.  Thus, Apple is gaining a de facto control over the digital media industry.  While this business model is unquestionably brilliant and is working to perfection.  I think that the iSheep are so enamored of all of the iBling and iCoolness, that they do not see themselves being led to the slaughter.  If things go unabated, all the Windows haters will have to take a long look at the new monopoly on the block.  I am now in iPrison.

By the way, does anyone else think this whole "i" thing is getting a bit ridiculous?  I mean honestly, does every new product have to have a lower case i at the beginning?

Oh, and my wife is annoyed because I dislike iStuff and still end up with a newer, flashier Nano than she does.  I just can't win.

2 comments:

  1. If you wouldn't insist on being a black iSheep, you could purchase an iMac and not have iTunes shuffle your downloads around making them seem to disappear.

    I think the "i" was originally for "internet", for which the iMac was first intended. However, iAgree that it has reached a level of iRidiculosity. Did I invent that word? iDid. If Steve Jobs can do it then yes, iCan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * the earlier post was written by BK, under the disguise of "Michelle"

    ReplyDelete