Wednesday, April 4, 2012

More Like the Most Bittersweet Time of the Year

When I wrote my post about it being a wonderful time of the year, I forgot a crucial component that adds a grey lining to my silver cloud.  It is also the time of the year when I play my last game of hockey for the season.  This happened last Thursday.  It always makes me sad when I know I'm walking into the dressing room for the last time.  It's the last time you step out onto the newly flooded ice and smell that crisp, cold scent.  It's the last time that you have a winger barreling down the ice at you with only a split second to decide whether he's going to try and go wide around you or beat you with a deke inside.  On the bright side it's the last time you have to hear the goalie yell at you when you choose wrong.

Hockey defines my weekly schedule during the winter.  I play every Sunday at 7:30 in the evening.  I also play one other evening during the week which is on the schedule posted on the fridge.  When we decide what we're having for dinner or whether we will be going somewhere or doing something during the week, we must always consult the schedule first.  When hockey is over it always seems like I should be doing something else during the evening rather than what I am doing.

Soon warmer days will be here and I will be out on my bike and playing baseball and I can forget about hockey...for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment