Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Some Thoughts On The Playoffs

I just thought I'd share some thoughts on the NHL playoffs too date.

1.  I'm very disappointed, but not really surprised that Chicago is out in the first round.  I really didn't think that Phoenix had it in them, but Chicago just had way too many problems that plagued them throughout the season, that they weren't able to fix in time for the playoffs.  Abysmal penalty killing and a cellar dwelling power play were major problems all year and were a large reason the 'Hawks flamed out.  Poor goaltending.  The 'Hawks came up against a goaltender that is in the zone and has luck like I haven't seen in a long time.  When your goaltending isn't at least competent, you are going to lose.  Finally, poorly timed and massive defensive zone lapses led to the offensively challenged  Coyotes scoring.

2.  What the hell is with Phoenix?  I have never seen a team get ALL of the bounces in a series and into a second.  Sure, sometimes the puck just goes your way.  But for that many games in a row?  It helps to be a counter attacking team when the puck always seems to bounce onto your stick.  It will be interesting to see if a team with so little talent and so boring to watch can continue to capitalize on unreal luck.  I'm watching game two of Phoenix/Nashville right now and so far so good for the Coyotes.

3.  I'm pretty glad that the Canucks are out.  Is that petty?  Yes.  Do I care?  No.  It warms the cockles of my heart that the Canucks laid an egg this year and makes the pain of another Chicago early exit easier to bear.  As I've mentioned before, I hate the finger biting, soccer diving, referee whining Canucks with every fiber of my being.  Plus, I don't have to see all of those stupid flags flapping off of cars around town.

4.  I read an interesting Tweet to the effect of Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose all out of the playoffs.  It's not your father's NHL anymore.  This is so true.  I heard on TSN that none of the remaining teams in the Western Conference have ever won a Stanley Cup.  It definitely is a different look in the playoffs this year.

5.  This is my first playoffs watching in HD.  Wow!  Do I wish I had this TV in 2010 when the 'Hawks won the cup.  It certainly enhances the viewing experience.

6.  I predict the the Kings in the Finals, maybe even winning it all.  Take it to the bank, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment