Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fall Fair

Today, my wife and I went to the North Peace Fall Fair.  I know it's not fall yet, but I don't make the schedule or have any say in the name.  The fair is a total throwback to the old agricultural fairs.  There were competitions for baking, preserves, flower arranging and growing as well as vegetables and lots of varieties of livestock.  Not being a farmer, I was interested in more of a curious fashion rather than a professional or knowledgeable one.

We wandered the fair for an hour or so and then got some fair food.  I have to say that the food is usually the best part of a fair.  I had really gotten myself into a lather before we went in anticipation of a dirty old corndog.  There were no corndogs!  I was completely gutted.  I had to settle for BBQ beef on a bun from the Cattlemen's Association.  It was pretty tasty, but not really a corndog.

Did I mention that there wasn't a midway?  Not that I'm a big fan of the rides, but in my experience it isn't really a fair until you have the midway.  So, with no midway, the wife and I decided to take in the country dancing contest.  It was quite a mix of young and old  contestants.  Those people were doing dances I'd never seen before, let alone heard of.  Not being a particular fan of country music and the country scene in general, my experience is admittedly pretty thin.

Anyway, a fun time was had by all, although we'll have to see if we invest the time and money to attend next year.

Finally, I'm pretty excited.  I will be playing my first game of 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy tomorrow morning.  My High Elves get to take on the dirty Vampire Counts in a 1500 point battle.  I can't wait to see what the pointy ears can do in the new edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment