Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Don't Get It

One of Jen's friends is doing her Masters in Educational Technology.  She recommended (pestered) Jen to join Twitter as a professional development tool.  Jen joined, so I had to also.  I don't like to be left behind.  I hadn't previously joined Twitter, because I had the impression it was the place where people told others about the meaningless minutia of their life.  To some degree it is, but there are many interesting things going on out there as well.  I can follow developments from my favourite hockey and football teams.  I get news flashes from CNN, etc.

I was given a list of teachers to follow on Twitter and it has been an eye opening experience.  Some of these people are teaching MACHINES!  The go to work all day and Tweet about it.  Then they go home and look up a lot of other blogs and teaching stuff and Tweet about that.  I don't get it.  Wouldn't a person get tired of work all the time?  I've talked to Jen about it and she tells me that my background and personality make it impossible for me to understand.  Jen is a career teacher.  Jen started out as a teacher and has never looked back.  Teaching is my second career.  I enjoy teaching and I want to do a good job at it and continually improve at my job.  But it is my job.  When I come home I would rather be outside, playing or watching sports, watching TV, gaming with my friends or just chatting with my wife, than doing what I was doing all day.

Jen tells me that for some educators, teaching is their passion and their life.  I try to at least intellectually understand how this can be, but I can't really get my head around it.  I'm not stupid, maybe just a little stubborn and narrow minded.  I don't think less of these people, I am just flabbergasted at their energy and almost single mindedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment