Friday, August 27, 2010

My Secret Life

No, I don't cross-dress and sing Gloria Gainer.  Though the way that I hide it, you'd think I did.  No, my big secret is that I'm an undercover nerd.  I play with little man dollies.  Almost exactly a year ago, I was introduced to the game of Warhammer.  This is a game where players paint up armies of little plastic or metal men and do battle with them.  There is a complex rule set and lots of dice rolling.  It is extremely geeky and I don't advertise it to anyone.  My wife however, is not quite as circumspect as I am, so a few of her friends know.

I bring all of this up because last night was the re-opening of the games club after summer shut down.  Several nerds showed up for a few hours of various wargames.  The group includes both classic nerds and undercover nerds like me. 

Mike loves the Warhammer
Anyway, I had a game against Mike and his Warriors of Chaos.  He brought a pretty tough army, but I thought I could handle it.  If the dice had not betrayed me, I probably could have.  Turn one, I was going to combo charge his unit of warriors with both my lion chariot and my spearmen.  Unfortunately, my spearmen failed their charge and the chariot was all by itself.  It acquitted itself well by panicking the warriors, but it didn't do as much damage as I had hoped.

On turn two, disaster struck and my mage blew up in a big way.  It was a dimensional cascade.  Which means that a massive template is placed over the mage and everything the big circle touches, gets whacked.  I was lucky and I only lost four of the Phoenix Guard in her unit, but she died and so did a big part of my arsenal.  It was all downhill from there.  I made a few pushes, but I could never do enough wounds to tip the scale and I lost in the end. 

It was a good game and we had a pretty good time.  I've got pretty used to my dice laughing at me by now, so I can usually get over it.

Luck be a lady tonight!
Here's a preview of what's next on the painting table.  This is the same little lady that blew up last night.  Maybe some colour will make her more effective next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment