Monday, August 16, 2010

Warhammer

Well, I played my first game of 8th edition yesterday morning.  Even with the frequent rules checks the game went very quickly and was a lot of fun.  I have a 1500 point tournament coming up in the middle of September, so we played that points level so I could get a feel for what is going to work and what won't in the new edition.  The game was just a straight battle with no terrain.  We just wanted to get a feel for the new rules.  It took my High Elves and he had a Vampire Counts army.

The game was basically a push your stuff forward and see what happens affair.  It turns out that HE are pretty punchy in the new edition, with their rerolls to hit when they have a higher initiative than the target.  Let's face it, they had higher inititative than just about everything in the VC army.  I also learned that the Battle Standard Bearer is a must have in the new game.  I failed a couple of fear checks that I was lucky enough to get on the reroll.

I had a level 2 mage and took the Lore of Life.  I was lucky enough to get the Throne of Vines and took Earthblood.  I didn't actually miscast the entire game and I threw four dice a few times, so vines didn't come into play that way, but the 4+ regen save did manage to keep a lot of my spearmen in a grinding combat with two units of skeletons and a Vampire Lord until my Swordmasters could get them in the flank the next turn.  I had the Banner of Sorcery in my Phoenix Guard, but found that with a level 2 I had more dice than I needed most turns, so may look into trying to squeeze a level 4 into the list or giving him the Silver Wand so he has a third spell.  Of course, I could just give the PG the Razor Standard to make them a more killy unit.  I guess only practice will answer which will be more effective.

Anyway, I had a great time and won.  I don't do that often, so it's nice when you can get it.  I hope to have more games in the near future.  The club reopens on Aug. 26, so games will be more regular then.

No comments:

Post a Comment