Sunday, June 12, 2011

One is the Loneliest Number






One is the loneliest number.  That is how you feel when you are a male primary teacher.  When I taught in Prespatou, I was the only male teacher in the elementary end of the school.  Now that I'm at a new school there are several other male teachers, but there are none that are even within spitting distance of the primary grades.

When I go to a professional development seminar, it is very likely that the participants will include myself and a room full of women.  When you are in a staff room, it is you and a bunch of women.  Now, most men would think that was a great thing.  And normally you would be right.  You know, if it was a bar or the Playboy mansion.  However, the room is usually full of nice, middle aged women that generally are bunch of mother hens.  Not terribly erotic.

The other downer, is that discussions tend to focus on topics that are of interest to women.  Mostly children, followed closely by gardening and American Idol/Dancing with the Stars/etc.  Yawn.  If you are at an education seminar or workshop, all of the answers and activities are touchy feely.  Let's get to know each other by telling someone about a time when you really needed a hug.  Blagh!  When a topic is discussed and everyone wants the answer to by flowers and unicorns, as the dude, you feel like a major league ass when your answer is a little more factual and involves kids toughening up.

In all seriousness however, being a male primary (or even elementary) teacher can be extremely isolating.  I don't look forward to going to my workplace for social connections.  I look forward to the connections with the  kids.  I have to find my social connections elsewhere in the community, which is hard when you spend most of your time at your job.

One is the loneliest number.  And I'm number one.

No comments:

Post a Comment