Monday, June 27, 2011

We were all LARPers at one time in our lives

I was watching some of the kids in my class play the other day.  They were playing some horse game.  Some of the kids were crawling around on the ground and were pretending to be horses.  Other kids were chasing them around and pretending to lasso them and break them.  It was very complex and really funny to watch.  I've seen the children on the playground playing the same type of game based on puppies, zombies and other various subjects.

Watching these kids play these games made me think of LARP.  LARP is Live Action Role Playing.  I learned about LARP while watching the movie Role Models a few years back.  I have to tell you that seeing people pretend to be wizards and knights and pretending to fight each other was pretty hilarious.  It was also pathetic.  I just couldn't believe that anyone could be so lame.  However, watching the children play and how they were so immersed in their roles and using their imaginations, changed my mind a bit (just a bit).  I wonder what happens to that great imagination we all had when we were kids?  Do we lose it?  Does it get submerged under adult concerns and responsibilities?  Maybe LARPers have rediscovered that childhood ability or never lost it.

It gives you something to think about.  Bottom line is they are still pretty lame.  Maybe just not as lame as before.

 Next post will be about the nerd hierarchy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment