Monday, April 11, 2011

Big In China


I just finished reading this book last night.  I was browsing through the electronic portion of our public library and found  Big In China on the most popular list.  So, I put a hold on it and waited for a couple of weeks for it to become available. 

The book is by Alan Paul and is about his family's move to Beijing when his wife takes a transfer there.  Paul is a stay at home dad that does freelance writing.  While in China, Paul starts a blues band with some locals and another ex-pat and becomes quite successful not long before it is time to move back to the U.S. 

Paul does a great job of describing the excitement and surrealism of living the ex-pat life.  I enjoyed the book because I could relate to his experiences and feelings.  Although I was in Korea, Asians share many of the same qualities socially and culturally.  I think that readers that haven't lived abroad or even really traveled much would enjoy this book, however.  Paul is a professional writer and his style is very easy to get through.  The book gets serious at times, but in general is a light hearted romp through his 3 years in China.

I give this book a thumbs up.

P.S.  I just read that this book is being made into a movie and Ivan Reitman has been asked to direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment