Monday, April 18, 2011

Whatever Happened to TLC?

I'm old enough to remember way back to the 90's when the first wave of specialty channels were approved by the CRTC for cable.  My personal favourite was The Learning Channel or TLC.  I remember all of the amazing history, science and...well, learning shows that were on that amazing channel.

Then I moved out of the country for a few years and lived without cable for a few more.  Fast forward to 2011.  My wife is now the one who is in love with TLC.  Has anyone seen the rubbish that populates this once proud channel?  The L in TLC, clearly does not stand for learning any more.  TLC is now the I have a biblical amount of kids-midget family-there are dead cats under the piles of garbage in my house-I make cakes while being an Italian-American cliche-COPS with only chicks channel. 

TLC is the worst channel on television.  The amount of garbage on this channel is only matched by that in the houses of the hoarding show on the same channel.  The worst part of the descent of TLC into television hell, is that Jen is totally in love with it.  I kid you not when I say that she will come home on a Friday night and spend 6 hours watching vapid, semi-retarded women shop for wedding dresses, bitchy fashonistas tell dumpy women how they look like crap, and butch police women chase drunks and wife beaters around the urban ghettos of America.  This is her perfect evening.  I spend half an hour watching something that makes my IQ fall to the level of someone with brain damage, then I have to leave the room.  That is when Jen starts to whine that I don't want to sit and watch TV with her.  No amount of explaining can convince her that watching what passes for entertainment on TLC causes me physical pain.

That is why I mourn the death of TLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment