Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bears and Moose Poop

Ever since I started blogging last summer, I have regretted not starting sooner.  When we first moved up here, there were a lot of things that we saw and that happened to us that were completely crazy.  After almost four years though, we have normalized most of the things that we once thought were wacky.  Imagine my excitement yesterday when I experienced a pair of firsts.

I had taken my students outside for gym before lunch.  We ended up at the farthest corner of the school yard.  We were going about our business when I saw a pair of grade 8 students booking it to where we were.  When they finally got there, I asked what was going on.  They told me that the principal wanted us to go inside because a bear had been spotted just up the road.  I looked at my kids and all I could see was 20 little bear treats.  So, I hollered at them to get in line because we were going inside.  Well, they all had to argue.  "I thought you said we had 10 more minutes?"  "Why do we have to go inside?"  "I don't want to go inside."  I told them I'd explain as soon as we were back in class.

We busted it back to the school and I led them inside.  As I opened the door, I turned around and saw that most of my students were hot on my heals.  Of course there were the couple of girls at the back that were having a chat and looking at dandelions and generally lollygagging around.  I hollered at them to get a move on. 

When we were back in class, I told them about the bear.  A few were scared, but most just ran to the window and yelled "where is it?"

My other first was the moose in the front yard the other morning.  Actually, there were two moose and they were in the neighbours yard.  We later found out that they had been in our yard earlier and had eaten Jen's daffodils that were just about to bloom. 

Yep, that's moose pooh.
It turns out that they made a visit again yesterday and this time left a present.  There was a pretty big pile of poop just under our living room window.  It looked like a pile of Malteesers.  I had to shovel it up this morning and that is when it stopped being cool that we have moose in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment