Monday, May 23, 2011

Hockey Deprived

I've been feeling a little hockey deprived lately.

I'm not playing hockey right now as the season is over and none of the arenas in my area seem to keep ice in over the summer for a little summer pickup. This makes me a little sad, but is usually offset by the fact that I can go outside and ride my bike, walk, etc.  However, we've had a lot of rain (especially for our semi-arid climate) lately and that really hasn't happened.

As everyone who knows me will be aware, a little bit of me died when the Blackhawks were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.  A large piece died because it was the Canucks.  However, I had many years of practice watching the NHL Playoffs without my team.  This year though, I have watched less hockey in the playoffs than any time since I returned from Korea six years ago.  The problems are twofold.  First, the Eastern Conference games are on at 4:30 in the afternoon.  By the time I get home from work, I don't have any time to do any of the things that need to get done if I sit down and watch hockey for three plus hours.  Also, these games always seem to take place at a time when I have to be elsewhere or doing something else.  A grand conspiracy I think.

The second problem is that the Canucks are still in the playoffs.  I have tried watching the Canucks games that are on at a more reasonable hour.  Unfortunately, I hate the Canucks at a subatomic level.  Every fibre of my being rebels against watching those things prance around the ice.  Second, the Canucks are maybe the most boring hockey team to watch since the New Jersey Devils of the 90's.  All the Canucks need is a one goal lead to make hockey more boring than golf.  They load up the neutral zone with all five players and dare the other team to get past centre ice.  The Canucks have put hockey back 20 years and the worst part is they may actually with with this formula.  They had only 14 shots in the entire game yesterday.  Seriously.

Wow.  I wish I liked watching baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment