Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Conversations with a six year old

I thought it had been a while since you had tasted the wisdom of the primary set, so I'm giving you another dose.  Yesterday, a young lady in my class came to me after lunch recess and told me that her tongue really hurt and she stuck it out to show me.  It was all red and chewed up on the end of it.  I asked her if she had bitten it while playing.  She told me no, but offered no further details.  Of course, I had to ask.  She told me that she had licked the big grey pole out front.  I asked if she meant the fence post and she said, "No, the one with the flag on it."  Yep, she had licked the flag pole in February.  You  know that's a recipe for disaster.  I asked her if it had frozen on there and she told me "No.  It just wouldn't come off."

After finding out the cause of the tongue trauma, I began to tell her not to lick things when it was cold outside and then stopped myself.  I started again and told her not to lick things outside EVER.  Things are dirty outside.  I told her that it would be like picking up a handful of dirt and putting it in her mouth.  I asked her if she would eat dirt and she said no, that only poor people eat dirt.  I disagreed, but she was adamant that poor people eat dirt.

So, there you go.  You learn something new everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment