Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hurry Up and Wait

Well, another school year has started.  However, this year has been much different than past years.  My new school is transient enough it turns out that no class lists were made for the first day of school and still haven't been three days in.  I have had the entire grade 2 class of 31 students.  My classroom is quite small and there are some serious crowding issues.  I really hope we get the classes figured out soon.

Beyond the crowding is the sense that the year really hasn't started.  It is hard to start enforcing your routines on a class that it turns out I may only have a couple of in my class.  You do not want to start curricular activities because they aren't really your students (and I dont' have enough desks and supplies).  It's almost like being in purgatory. That feeling has translated into my planning.  You don't know which day you will be getting your class, so you don't plan more than a day in advance.  I find it very tiring flying by the seat of your pants all the time.  I don't mind saying that I'm not a big fan of this system of buying time at the beginning of the year.  Of course, I really don't have much say in it, so I'll just shut up and do my job as best as I can.  You can't fight city hall, as they say.

Tomorrow is behaviour and social responsibility refreshers for all students in the school.  The rest of the day is up to me.  It should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment