Saturday, September 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Jen!

Yesterday was Jen's birthday.  I won't tell you how old she is because I value my life and other extremities too much.  Suffice to say, she is old enough to not like having birthdays much anymore.  So, I threw her a party.  Of course, saying I threw her a party implies that I did everything.  This is not so.  When I floated the idea of having a party for her a couple of weeks back, I had a simple BBQ in mind.  The my wife got hold of it and it had to be a "party".  The only part of my idea that survived the Jennification process was the BBQed hamburgers and hotdogs.  Suddenly we had to have several kinds of salads, dips and deserts to serve our friends.  This was no  longer a guy party. 

Beyond the expansion of the menu, Jen wanted cheese cake for her birthday.  I told her I would buy her one, but she wanted a homemade one because it would feed more people and is cheaper in the end (remember we haven't been paid since June).  Unfortunately, I do not possess the skill to manufacture a cake.  That's why I was willing to pay someone who could.  So, Jen ended up making her own birthday cake.  Did I mention that shortly after this picture was taken, I went off to play hockey while she cooked up several salads.  Am I a prince or what?

Regardless of my husbanding skills, the party went off and our little house was packed to the rafters with friends.  It was noisy, silly and irreverent.  All qualities that make for a high quality gathering.  I would like to point out that I cooked the meat and cleaned up while Jen enjoyed herself at the party.  She seemed happy and is still talking to me, so I assume I did alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment