Friday, September 3, 2010

Unexpected Pleasures

I am loving living in town again.  We lived 100 km outside of town the past two years at the school we were working at.  Prespatou was a LONG way out of town.  They had a small general store, but it had limited and sometimes random things in stock.  You also had to arrange activities in town in advance and plan all of the week's chores for that same day or afternoon.

I was playing hockey in town twice a week the past two years.  Yes, I love hockey that much.  An hour of hockey would effectively take up an entire evening or afternoon.  Anyway, Wednesday night, while doing the dishes, my friend Bryce called me and asked if I wanted to play hockey that night.  I was very surprised and very happy at this turn of events.  After I had said yes, then I began to wonder if everything that was supposed to be in my bag was still there.  So, I left the dishwater to get cold and ran out to the shed to dig through the stacks of totes, boxes and general crap to find my bag.  I dug it out and quickly rummaged through to make sure the basics were there.  I went back to the dishes and quickly wondered if I had socks and a jersey for the game.  So, I ran out and checked that.  After many such trips I was finished the dishes and finished checking nearly every piece of my equipment one piece at a time.

When I got to the rink, there were not very many spare players.  There was only one sub on the bench.  For the first time out this year, not having many subs spelt disaster.  It was so much fun and very fast (for the first ten minutes) and extremely tiring.  I think I was very close to coughing up a lung at one point.  Interesting how you can have a lot of fun exhausting yourself.

I don't know if this means hockey season has started or if it was a end of summer treat.  My equipment stinking up the furnace room suggests the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment