Saturday, July 2, 2011

Well, That Was Unexpected

My in-laws have returned to Vancouver Island and the school year has finally finished.  Life should return to a bit slower pace now.

As everyone knows, we bought our first house nearly one year ago.  The dark god that is my house requires regular sacrifices of money and time.  In order to satiate the god's hunger, Jen and I have decided to get jobs this summer.  That's right, no lazy days of summer this year.  My plan was to go out and get a job as a labourer.  I want a job with as little brain power required as possible and that I can leave behind at the end of the day.  I got a pretty big shock when I began my search and quickly realized that I was underqualified to a labourer in this town.  I have three university degrees and none of them give me the qualifications I need to lift a shovel, move some pipe or get the coffee for anyone in this town.  It turns out that there is a litany of oil field tickets that one needs to possess in order to work for nearly all of the companies in this town.  I have exactly zero of these.  I also have exactly zero desire to spend the money and the time to get them.  I guess it's back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment