Monday, July 25, 2011

A Dark and Hungry God

I thought I was going to get away with merely laying time and a small amount of money on the alter of the Dark and Hungry God (my house) this summer.  Alas, I was playing the fool.  This morning the appliance repair man came to look at our oven.  It appeared that our oven's thermostat was shot, so we were hoping that he would be able to replace it.  After looking at it and calling the parts people he broke the news that there were no parts in Canada at the moment and it would be three weeks before he could get one.  I thought that wasn't so bad, as we barbeque most of the time in the summer.  Then he announced that it would cost $200 for the part and another $45 for him to come back and install it.  This on top of the $95 he was charging us to look at the damned thing today! 

Now we are left with making the decision to drop over $300 on a 10 year old appliance or buy a new one and not have to worry about it.  We are leaning towards a new range.  I could almost see the flat screen TV I was planning on buying this year go up in smoke.  I guess I've waited this long, another year of television envy won't kill me.  Mame me maybe, but not kill.

By the way, if a friend ever tells you how great it is having a house and you should buy one to, you should punch them in the face.  I mean really hard.  That person is not your friend.  That person wants someone else to get the shaft too and then you can commiserate.  Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment